Cambridge Audio 551R Home Theatre AV Receiver
Our all-new 551R offers everything you could need in a home cinema receiver from a surprisingly compact chassis.
Delivering truly great sound as well as all the latest processing features is the ultimate test of any home cinema receiver and its ability to reproduce music with such richness and authority is what really separates the 551R from the competition. With seven 110 watts capable channels (measured at 6 ohms) the 551R delivers movie soundtracks, TV and music with power, punch and superb dynamics.Audiophile specification…
Seven discrete amplifiers driven by a low-flux toroidal transformer are separated from the processing and input stages guaranteeing performance without compromise. And because typical set-ups now include a multitude of sources with digital audio connections, special attention has been given to the 551R?s digital to analogue conversion process thus giving it the ability to maximise the audio potential of every connected digital device such as Blu-ray players, satellite boxes, iPod docks, games consoles and more.
Processing tour de force
And whilst musical performance is at the heart of the 551R, it also offers all the latest processing technologies to excite the most avid home cinema enthusiast including the most current Cirrus Logic DSPs and support for the latest CODECs such as Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. Meanwhile, a Faroudja 1080p video scaler vastly improves performance from lower resolution TV broadcasts and DVDs as well as transcoding analogue video inputs to the digital domain for simpler and neater connection to the TV using just one HDMI cable.
In terms of connectivity, the 551R boasts four HMDI inputs and a single HDMI output which fully supports 3DTV/Deep colour pass-through and Audio Return from newer digital TVs. It also features a wide selection of analogue video connections (ready for transcoding), four digital audio connections and a total of six analogue audio inputs.
Furthermore, the 551R includes a host of processing and adjustment features to get the most from every multi-channel movie soundtrack. These include full individual crossover adjustment and bass management, lip sync adjustment, Dolby Dynamic range control and DTS-HD speaker re-map (these features are explained in greater detail below).
Ease of set-up
AVRs typically have a habit of causing much head scratching but the 551R has been designed to ensure simple set-up and ease of use for all the family. Cambridge Audio?s Microphone Controlled Auto Set-up (CAMCAS) tailors the 551R?s performance to any room and comes complete with a microphone to complete this simple procedure. Day to day operation is equally straightforward from either the clear front panel controls or the supplied remote.
Clever cooling = compact design
But perhaps the most surprising feature of the 551R is its diminutive size – made possible thanks to a unique cooling design system called X-Tract?. A perfectly balanced combination of forced cooling and natural convection effectively draws heat away from the substantial transformer and output stages and means the 551R can operate extremely quietly, at a low temperature and enables a more compact enclosure than would normally be possible for such a powerhouse.
- 4 HDMI in, 1 out (Supports 3D TV / Deep colour pass thru / Audio Return Channel reception)
- Faroudja FLI2310 video scaling that enhances picture quality and real imaging.
- Analog to digital video transcoding/scaling (composite, S-video and component video to HDMI)
- Full 5.1/7.1 multi-channel analogue inputs and preamp outputs
- FM/AM tuner with RDS
- RS232 control, IR Emitter Input
- Scaler bypass mode ? allows user to engage/disengage video scaler for each input as appropriate
- Oversize low flux toroidal transformer and discrete amplifiers that deliver ultra-low noise and distortion
- and the Lossless Dolby True HD and DTS-HD Master Audio formats
- Pure Analogue Stereo Direct mode for audiophile playback of analogue stereo sources
- Individual Crossovers and Advanced Bass Management
- Cambridge Audio Mic Controlled Auto Set-up (CAMCAS) with microphone supplied
- Adjustable lipsync delay per source
- DTS Speaker re-mapping allows the playback of DTS-HD High Resolution or Master Audio formats with encoded height information on standard 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 speaker setups
- Bi-amp mode for front left/right with surround back left/right in 5.1 set-up
- X-Tract? Forced/Convection Heat Tunnel for virtually silent performance
- Low resonance, acoustically damped full metal chassis
- Navigator style Azur remote control
- Also controllable from 651BD/751BD remote
- Slim, aesthetic design ? only 1.1cm tall!!